There are few greater pleasures in life than a ripe tomato bursting in your mouth. Like liquid sunshine.
Deliciously sweet and ludicrously easy, this recipe is perfect for a starter or light lunch – I’ve even made mini-ones as party canapés.
***WARNING: PLEASE USE RIPE TOMATOES OTHERWISE THIS DISH WILL TASTE ANEMIC AND MAKE YOUR TASTEBUDS SAD***
Starter for 2
– 4 thick slices crusty white bread (use gluten-free bread if you’re GF!)
– 1 clove garlic, peeled
– 16 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
– 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
– 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
– handful basil, roughly chopped
– handful mint, roughly chopped
Toast the bread and rub one side of each slice with the garlic.
In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, vinegar, oil, basil, mint, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper, making sure you squash the tomatoes a little bit so they release some of their juices. Tip: If you have time, set the mixture aside to let the flavours mingle together for an hour or two.
Top the bread with the tomatoes and juice.
Serve with napkins!
Source: Recipe and photos by pip & little blue.